Re: Locally Managed Tablespace for System Tabespace ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:27:47 +1000

The whole create database command has got very complicated indeed in 9i. So, no... Dictionary managed tablespace is still the default and I shouldn't have said otherwise. Using the GUI assistant, it's the default, but that's a completely different kettle of fishbits.

What I love about Oracle documentation on this subject is statements like this one:

"If you specify this clause [ie, "extent management local"], the database must have a default temporary tablespace, because a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace cannot store temporary segments.   a.. If you specify EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL but you do not specify the DATAFILE clause, you can omit the default_temp_tablespace clause. Oracle will create a default temporary tablespace called TEMP with one datafile of size 10M with autoextend disabled.
  b.. If you specify both EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL and the DATAFILE clause, then you must also specify the default_temp_tablespace clause and explicitly specify a datafile for that tablespace. " If...then..elseif...else..whatever...but also....god knows...

I particularly enjoyed this sentence from the same documentation:

"Oracle recommends that the total initial space allocated for the SYSTEM tablespace be a minimum of 5 megabytes."

Ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!...Deep breathing...Ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!

And the last time I created a 5Mb system tablespace was...., er.... , 1958.

Around the time you were celebrating your 21st, Richard!!

Best Regards