Re: Difference between SID and SERVICE_NAME

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin.Haltmayer_at_d2mail.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:08:54 +0200

Hello Marcel,

one reason is using Parallel Server (or RAC). To use Transparent Application Failover or Load Balancing you must use service_names (it may work with the same SIDs at both cluster nodes but this is advised against).

Next reason to keep the old syntax is the need of changing a lot of clients' tnsnames.ora files. Imagine a big company having thousands of clients, each with one tnsnames.ora accessing three different instances. Changing them may be a nightmare.

A third reason may be the Net8 API through which you may offer your own services.

HTH. Martin