Re: Recovery Question 7 - 8

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:02:07 +0200

On 14 Jul 2002 21:20:00 -0700, brian_li_at_newyorklife.com.hk (Brian Li) wrote:

>Question 7
>What is the their difference?
>ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
>ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>ALTER DATABASE OPEN NORESETLOGS;
>When use them?
>How sometimes I call ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>sometimes call ALTER DATABASE OPEN;?
>
>Question 8
>What is the their difference?
>recover database;
>recover database until cancel;
>recover database using backup controlfile;
>recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;
>recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
>What is using backup controlfile? where/what backup controlfile it is using?
>what until cancel means?
>Please tell me more details.
>
>The above question make me confusing during recovery the database.
>
>Thanks a lot! ^^
>
>Brian

7
alter database open is identical to alter database open noresetlogs as per the manual
alter database open noresetlogs is the normal command and to be issued after *complete* recovery, alter database open resetlogs is to be issued after *incomplete* recovery
8
recover database ----> complete recovery recover database until cancel ----> incomplete recovery recover database using backup control file ---> the control file is from a backup, please don't use it to determine which redo logs need to be applied

For the rest: please try to read the manual, it's all there.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jul 15 2002 - 00:02:07 CDT