Recovery Question

From: Brian Li <brian_li_at_newyorklife.com.hk>
Date: 14 Jul 2002 21:06:25 -0700

I'm a newbie using Oracle 9i.
I have some questions in the followings, please kindly answer the question.

Question 1
If I lost a control file (no backup),
how can I startup a database?
how can I recover a control file?

Question 2
If I lost all archive log,
how can I recover the database?

Question 3
If I lost all redo log,
how can I recover the database?

Question 4
If I lost all control file, redo log and archive log, how can I recover the database?

Question 5
About Offline Backup Procedure,
shutdown normal;
copy all datafile to backup folder
copy all control file to backup folder
copy all redo logs to backup folder
copy all archive logs to backup folder

Is it a correct procedure?
Why I have to need to backup redo log only? Why NOT I have to need to backup archive log?

Question 6
Why NOT I have to backup init.ora?
How can I recover init.ora if I lost it?

Question 7
What is the their difference?
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN NORESETLOGS;
When use them?
How sometimes I call ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; sometimes call ALTER DATABASE OPEN;?

Question 8
What is the their difference?
recover database;
recover database until cancel;
recover database using backup controlfile; recover database until cancel using backup controlfile; recover database using backup controlfile until cancel; What is using backup controlfile? where/what backup controlfile it is using? what until cancel means?
Please tell me more details.

The above question make me confusing during recovery the database.

Thanks a lot! ^^

Brian Received on Sun Jul 14 2002 - 23:06:25 CDT