Re: Memory requirement for Oracle

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2002 16:43:17 -0700

"JohnWood" <jwood_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<V84Y8.7223$K6.366968_at_news2.telusplanet.net>...
> I would like to find out what criteria would decide how much memory is
> needed for an Oracle database on a Window 2000 Server enviroment.
> I am having an Oracle database with one instance. I will have about 200
> users but only about 10 to 20 may hit the database for update/inquiry at a
> time. The vendor recommand only 1GB memory on a dual Xeon 700M box. I
> wonder if I need 4GB for performance concern.
>
> Also do any one use the new 2.4G 2nd generation Xeon. There is a server
> with dual 2.4G Xeon G2 with similar price to the Xeon 700M. I would like to
> find if it is as reliable.
>
> Thanks.

There are number of criterias at play when you decide to size your server. Is it an OLTP or DSS environment, Concurrent users, Number of transactions per hour/day etc. For scalability, It's always OK to oversize your server a bit then undersize it.

You can visit http://www.tpc.org/ (Transaction processing performance council) to get some ideas on benchmarks as reported by TPC on different database vendors running on different platforms.

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Sun Jul 14 2002 - 18:43:17 CDT