Re: Just passed 8i OCP

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:55:53 GMT

"charlie.peltier" wrote:

> Barely. Even though I have been working with 817 for almost 2 years, it is
> still hard. Too many questions on something barely used. The exam
> emphasize heavily on composite partition, and their index partition options,
> who will use composite partition that much?

Some do. But you point out one of the major flaws in the OCP. That much of what is asked bears no relevance to what developers and DBAs actually do. It is the equivalent to qualifying physicians based on their knowledge of which surgical technique to use ... rather than knowing if they either (A) can tell when to use it and (B) actually know how to use it.

For example, I'm glad someone knows the difference between B*Tree and bitmap indexes. I am more concerned about whether they know when to use them. And perhaps more importantly ... know when not to.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Jul 14 2002 - 13:55:53 CDT