Re: Indexes ignored

From: Jim Poe <jbpoe_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:11:32 GMT

In article <gpbY8.34700$Hj3.104795
@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, richard.foote_at_bigpond.com says...
> Hi Jim,
>
> Still confused why you are using an upper function on a numeric value
> (albeit in varchar2).

The query comes from a client application. The user enters values for search criteria and the application generates the sql. The upper function ensures a caseinsensitive  search.
> Note that the use of the upper function is disabling the use of the index
> (hence my suggestion to create a function based index).

Oh, I missed that. I guess I will have to be more selective on the use of the Upper function.

I tried it without the Upper function and it is still generating the same plan and still taking 10 seconds.

Thanks for your help

--
Jim Poe
<jbpoe_at_pacbell.net>