Re: Just passed 8i OCP

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:37:10 +1000

"charlie.peltier" <charlie.peltier(delete here-antispam)@verizon.net> wrote in message news:XzZX8.4193$ak5.4050_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> Barely. Even though I have been working with 817 for almost 2 years, it
is
> still hard. Too many questions on something barely used. The exam
> emphasize heavily on composite partition, and their index partition
options,
> who will use composite partition that much?

Well, whether you *do* get to use it is quite a different matter from whether you *ought* to use it. At the end of the day, it's just hash partitioning of a range partitioned object... if you know both of those ideas OK, composite partitioning is a walk in the park. And hash partitioning is a thoroughly excellent idea ("take my stuff and store it in 13 separate pieces please -and you deal with the specifics, Mr. Oracle"). Which means composite partitioning is, too.

I confess to still needing the Big Boys Book of Syntax whenever *any* form of partitioning is involved, but then I still have trouble inserting a single record into the EMP table. Conceptually, however, it is not difficult, and any competent DBA ought to know the concepts, at least, backwards.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Jul 14 2002 - 02:37:10 CDT