Re: putting an alias in my tnsnames for a change to report server

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:31:26 +0100

"Sean M" <smckeown_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3D2E27FE.6488B17C_at_earthlink.net...
> So, what's worse - the guy who posts sensitive military computer
> information to an internet newsgroup, or the guy that takes that post as
> an invitation to hack said computer? The former was a really bad idea;
> the latter may be criminal.
>
> [Just because someone leave his car door unlocked doesn't mean it's OK
> to hop in and change the station on his radio.]
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Hi, Sean.

I think this is a little harsh on Martin. He didn't steal the car, or booby trap it. He called across to the car owner: "Hey buddy, you left your door unlocked!". Buddy replied: "No it's OK, I moved the car". Martin said "You didn't, you know; it's still in the same place and you'd better lock it quickly; this neighbourhood is not too safe. If you don't believe me, check the radio; I didn't damage anything but I changed the station to prove it to you".

If I left my car unlocked in a dangerous neighbourhood, and someone said that to me, I'd thank them (and lock it PDQ). Wouldn't you?

Regards,
Paul

P.S. Please accept my apologies for the English spelling of neighborhood :o) Received on Sat Jul 13 2002 - 13:31:26 CDT