Re: Locally Managed Tablespace for System Tabespace ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:11:25 +1000

"Ora" <ora_geek_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:fa5d6718.0207122046.86b4197_at_posting.google.com...
> Is it possible to have Locally Managed Tablespace (LMT) for SYSTEM
Tablespace also ?

Not until 9i Release 2, when an LMT SYSTEM tablespace is in fact the default. Until then, it was utterly impossible to create SYSTEM as locally managed, despite Oracle's own documentation (and one or two posters here) stating otherwise.

> If so , how can we convert an existing Dictionary Managed SYSTEM
Tablespace to LMT ?

You can't. I don't even think it's possible in 9i Release 2 (converting, I mean). I think you have to create it as locally managed in the first place (and remember, as I say, it's locally managed by default anyway).

As it is, you really don't want to convert *any* tablespaces to LMT. The conversion procedure supplied by Oracle doesn't do a particularly good job, and it's much better wherever possible to create new LMT tablespaces from scratch and use the MOVE command to put your existing segments into it. When the old dictionary stuff is empty, drop it and have done.

Regards
HJR