Re: table partition add makes package invalid

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:40:45 +1000

Any DDL, of any sort, on any object, of any sort, renders all packages and procedures that reference that object invalid. It's been that way for ages. There's nothing you can do to prevent it, either. It's a design feature (we can't know what it is that you've done to the object, so naturally all code referencing it has to be invalidated).

You'll find that all procedures and packages which *can* be re-validated will automatically do so the first time they are called after the invalidation (the second time if it's a remote dependency). Or you can get in there beforehand and manually recompile them all.

Naturally, if you've just dropped a column from a table, a package that references that now-absent column *can't* recompile -but that's the point of invalidating it in the first place.

But short of never doing DDL, you can't avoid invalidations.

Regards