Re: Problem with Oracle 8i client & Oracle forms 6i

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:13:08 +1000

Well, at least he's changed the SYSTEM password now.

And SYS's.

Next thing we know, he'll have installed a firewall so you can't even reach the machine.

Not too much to ask, really, is it??!

Regards
HJR "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D2EECE7.D2F1B8C3_at_exesolutions.com...
> Uday Joshi wrote:
>
> > Hi Morgan
> >
> > I had recognised my mistake. The only reason I posted the message was
> > to see if any one had a solution which will involve modifying registry
> > keys related to ORACLE_HOME rather than a comlete cleanup and fresh
> > install.
> >
> > Anyway I did the full cleanup and freshinstall, this time registry
> > looks good. Still the problem persists. On close monitoring I realised
> > that there was some problem with jrew.exe and the error log said.....
> >
> > Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
> > Fault address: 00010119 00:00000000
> > Module:
> >
> > System Information:
> > Operating System: Windows NT Version 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2
> > Date and Time: 7/11/2002, 16:03
> > Command line: ..\..\jre11\bin\jrew -classpath

.;..\..\jre11\lib\rt.jar;..\..\jre11\lib\i18n.jar;..\..\jre11\classes\ewt\ew t.zip;.\sysman.zip;..\..\jre11\classes\jhelp\jHelp.zip;..\..\jre11\classes\j

nls\jnls.zip;.\ona.zip

> > oracle.network.config.container.NetApplication
> > oracle.network.config.container.NetApplication
> >
> > Registers:
> > EAX:00B14348
> > EBX:01AD071C
> > ECX:00B14348
> > EDX:018D3D30
> > ESI:002F5AF4
> > EDI:0012FB48
> > CS:EIP:001B:00010119
> > SS:ESP:0023:0012FB40 EBP:6EE4DCA0
> > DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:0038 GS:0000
> > Flags:00010286
> >
> > Call stack:
> > Address Frame
> > 00010119 6EE4DCA0 0000:00000000
> > 002F5AFC 002F59CF 0000:00000000
> > 92D77000 B1433000 0000:00000000
> >
> > This sounds greek to me. All I can understand from this log is that...
> >
> > 1) There is some problem with java runtime environment. The AGE OLD
> > jre 11 seems to have problems in coping up with my faster(?) Pentium 4
> > and win2k.
> >
> > 2) Oracle 6i is using jre 1.1 while the latest one is 1.3 which i have
> > on my machine.
> >
> > 3) Oracle has hardcoded class path in the application. Ideally there
> > shall be a configuration file where you can choose which "java
> > runtime" you want to use.
> > Further oracle should have left it to the users to set "classpath"
> > variable to "Oracle Specific path" required by them rather than
> > hardcoding it...
> >
> > Now what I have done is like this......
> >
> > 1) I renamed $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\bin to $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\bin-old and
> > $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\lib to $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\lib-old
> >
> > 2) Then I copied "bin" and "lib" folders from jre 1.3 folder to
> > $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11
> >
> > 3) In jre 1.1 there was a file called jrew.exe while in 1.3 there is
> > no such file.
> > Instead it has javaw.exe. So I had to rename
> > $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\bin\javaw.exe to $ORACLE_HOME\JRE11\bin\jrew.exe
> >
> > And what i have achieved is this........
> >
> > 1) If I run NET8 Assistant from start menu->oracle for winnt->NET8
> > Assistant
> > IT WORKS.......(Great Achievement) but now you "can not" close the
> > window.
> > You have to "kill" it from Task Manager.
> >
> > But it really doesn't heart me as long as my work is done....
> >
> > I know this posting qualifies for comp.java.**** but I am posting it
> > here for sharing the information with you all....
> >
> > Does anyone know any oracle-java support group where I can get a CLEAN
> > solution to this problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Uday
>
> There are known issues with respect to Pentium 4 and Oracle that have been
repeatedly addressed in these usenet groups so rather than rehash them I sugget you go through the
> google.com archives or visit any one of the numerous Oracle support sites.
It is just a question of having installed something developed before Pentium 4 and thus it could not
> have anticipated changes.
>
> You might also want to look at getting a newer version that is Pentium 4
compatible if it exists (I haven't checked as I have no Pentium 4 machines).