Re: question on DB sizing

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:01:01 +0200

"John Jones" <john.jones_at_duke.edu> wrote in message news:agmrfs$2t5$1_at_news.duke.edu...
> Anybody out there using RMAN and a repository database that can tell me
how
> large their database is. We will be running close to 100 8.1.7 databases
> using RMAN. Any ideas respond to john.jones_at_duke.edu
>
> --
> John Jones
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Duke University

The tablespace we are using for the repository for some 10 databases is 100-150M.
The size you need depends largely on
a) how many archivelogs you produce (we have databases switching every minute and cannot change that without the approval of a large UK consultancy firm)
b) how tight you are on expiring past backups and properly deleting them. No procedures have been set up yet in this case, so yes we did hit that 'failed to allocate extent' error and no backup working.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA