Direct path INSERT from GTT => end of communication

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:23:44 +0200

Hi

Ora EE 8.1.7.3 on SuSE Linux 7.0

to reduce the content of some tables for development databases, we do that:

CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE my_gtt
ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS
AS
SELECT *
FROM my_table
WHERE <some_conditions are true>

<TRUNCATE TABLE my_table>

<DISABLE ALL CONSTRAINTS ON my_table>

<DISABLE ALL TRIGGERS ON my_table>

<SET ALL INDEXES ON my_table TO UNUSABLE>

ALTER TABLE my_table NOLOGGING;

INSERT /*+ APPEND */
INTO my_table
SELECT * FROM my_gtt

<ENABLE AND REBUILD ALL THE STUFF ABOVE>

This works really good for most tables, but the biggest one, 1.200.000 rows with 500 Byte each row, which is reduced to 10%, forces an end-of-communication error, AKA "the server process dies".

Any ideas?

Thanx for any help in advance.

Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de