Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2002 11:23:34 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA7025B5E7A_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Hi Niall,
>

> >> There has
> >> been a tendency for OCP candidates (or at least the recruitment
> agencies) to
> >> equate 'passed the OCP' with 'has 5 years real world experience'.
>
> Then those are the Bar Stewards which are givin the rest of us OCP
> enabled 'dba' people a bad name. I'll bet they lie about other things on
> their CV/Resumes as well.
> I'm an OCP myself, but I'm lacking in enough real world experience to
> call myself an 'experienced DBA' - but hell, I'm working on it.
>
> If my work hadn't paid for it, would I be an OCP ?
> I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I'd have paid for the courses at least
> out of my own pocket (or my wife's) if I had to.
>
> Regards,
> Norman.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

I have read this thread interestingly for few days. Here are my two cents.

To have an OCP engraved on one's resume should not automatically qualify that person for a job...and not being an OCP should not automatically dis-qualify a person.
I once asked an OCP developer with supposedly 2 years of PLSQL development experience a fairly simple question. How do you declare public and private functions in a package. The guy did not know the answer. Now this does not mean that all OCP's are like that. It just means that the guy *did not* work with all areas of PLSQL development.

The key should be not to get impressed by an OCP or scrutinize a non-OCP candidate. If I want to hire someone to manage a VLDB or to write PLSQL code...then I better find someone who has solid experience with it..irrespective of the fact whether he/she is an OCP or not.

Same goes for people with all the fancy words in their job title which requires it's own index. -:)

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Jul 12 2002 - 13:23:34 CDT