Re: Dedicated Vs. Shared Server Mode

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2002 09:49:56 -0700

In article <82xX8.62383$%%2.2573508_at_news2.east.cox.net>, "Ryan" says...

>Someone I work with told me that you should not even consider shared server
>until you have atleast 200 concurrent users.
>
>Is this a good rule of thumb?

There's no such thing as a good rule of thumb, as a rule of thumb! ;)

Seriously, Shared Server does two things as far as I can see:

  1. It allows you to use some functionality that would not otherwise be available (like Connection Manager and connection pooling)
  2. It gets around resource shortfalls by having fewer processes at the back end.

It's NOT a performance improver generally. Think of all the work involved in a Shared Server circuit (user request -> dispatcher -> shared server queue -> shared server -> response queue -> dispatcher -> user). That's a lot more overhead than user request -> dedicated server -> user.

My 2 pennies worth (since I'm in the US).

Pete

>"D.Y." <dyou98_at_aol.com> wrote in message
>> chrisforbis_at_yahoo.com (Chris Forbis) wrote in message
>> > That is one of those fun questions you can get all sorts of answers
>> > for. But dedicated is always faster if setup correctly. But
>> > dedicated needs more resources. Now it looks like if all that will
>> > use it is WebSphere, well that is not that many connections. So
>> > dedicated seems the best with the information you provided.
>> >
>> If the number of concurrent sessions is relatively small dedicated
>> servers will work just fine.
>>
>> > peter.peltonen_at_iki.fi wrote in message

>> A dedicated server only serves one session. A shared server can serve many
>> sessions. If there are going to be a large number of concurrent sessions,
>use
>> MTS.

>issuing

>Mode,
>one
>> > >

>> Connection pooling really won't give you more active connections. Shared
>> servers will. But since WebLogic allows you to easily create connection
>pools
>> you might as well use it, so that you don't have to keep opening and
>closing
>> connections. Just pay attention to some minor details. A common mistake I
>have
>> seen is not closing the ResultSet before releasing a connection. Then
>you'll
>> quickly reach the maximum number of cursors.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Fri Jul 12 2002 - 11:49:56 CDT