Re: 8.1.5 to 8.1.7

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:52:48 +1000

Hi Charlie,

Are there merits to moving from a very buggy, *no longer supported* 8.1.5 to a stable (actually very stable) *supported* 8.1.7 version. I reckon the answer to that question is a big, fat, juicy, whopping, big (already said that) absolutely, no doubt about it, definitely YES !!

The question of whether to move to 9i is a little harder to answer. That depends. 9i is still a little "young", like a nice Australian 2001 Margaret River Cabernet Merlot. It's not as "stable" as 8.1.7 but has more features. It's kind of up to the organisation to balance the pros and cons and pick what's appropriate.

But you get no arguments from me about getting off 8.1.5 (which still holds many unpleasant memories after having to teach course after course on this cursed version).

Give him the good advice.

Richard