Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:48:36 +1000

In article <8ca3c5c7.0207110701.1b19c60b_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> I personally believe there will always be a market for good DBAs
> regardless of product. Maybe some of you guys should think about
> starting a Database Consultancy and providing an service to multiple
> clients. I know, I haven't thought this through, IPR, confidentiality
> etc. but if the markets objection is cost then perhaps there is a
> niche to provide a reasonable cost effective alternative to the likes
> of EDS, PWC CMG Admiral and so-on possibly dealing with multiple RDBMS
> products.

been done. I started the first one I knew of in Australia, many years ago. More precisely: in 1989.

Then a few years later the Indian hordes took over. Nowadays, it's "fashionable" over here to have your "DBA" work outsourced to Punjab or some other exotic place. And have a local "DBA", preferably a trainee. Both being paid "monkey wages".

That way, if the proverbial hits the fan (like it most certainly will), you can always blame the trainee and fire him/her. After all, we can't upset the outsourcing applecart, can we? ;-D

> more than capable of learning a complimentary product/skill. Those
> that aren't will struggle. Those that are very experienced probably
> won't need to. Those that are not capable DBAs deserve to struggle.

and those unfortunate souls who fork out their own $$$$ to pay for an OCP, in the hopes of making themselves more "marketable", are up for a big surprise.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto