Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Jeremy Smith <alceste_nspm_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:10:30 +0000 (UTC)

>> If you want everyone to be competent in the role they've been given, create
>> some jobs where the expectation is that they won't know everything.
>>
>> Jer

> And when you go to the doctor because you have a strange lump and you are worried
> about what it is. Or you go to hospital because you have a pain in your chest
> radiating down your left arm ... you are going to look for someone with no
> experience actual experience but who passed the state medical exam with a cram
> book?

I'm not going to look for those people as my attending physician, but they'll be there...as medical students and interns. Or maybe if the problem is a simpler one, I'll get a resident who can take care of it, no problem.

Most companies and existing DBA's alike aren't willing to allow for positions that might be appropriate for someone with an OCP, some personal experimentation, and a desire to learn. The career path for someone hoping to be a DBA has this narrow bottleneck of a "Junior DBA" or an "Intern" that most companies don't bother with. So instead, people who become DBAs either move in horizontally from a developer or systems administrator, or they get hired into a position where they're taking on all real duties of a DBA without sufficient experience.

Someone with book learning (OCP) and nothing else isn't ready to be the principal DBA on a system of any importance. However, they do have enough knowledge to deserve an opportunity to learn on real-world systems and do real work. Most technical professions do a better job of developing new talent; that's all I'm saying.

Jer Received on Fri Jul 12 2002 - 03:10:30 CDT