V$ tables

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:59:09 +0100

Morning Daniel,

>> But I would like any DBA out there that has ever had a bad experience
with ALTER
>> SYSTEM, in a development enviornment, to step forward. I've yet to
meet one.

No comments here, I've never had a developer do anything silly with ALTER SYSTEM yet. Mind you, it only gets granted to those who ask for it though :o)

>> Q1: Have you given access to DBMS_PROFILER to your developers?

No.

>> Q2: If not, why not?

We don't write PL/SQL for our application. We have a Uniface 4GL to do it for us :o) (Persoanlly, I hate Uniface) AND DBMS_PROFILER is not available at 8.0.6, which is unfotunately where most of our customers still are. I believe it was introduced as part of 8i - which we are migrating to gradually (8.1.7).

>> Q3: If not how do you expect to receive decent code from developers?

I don't expect anything from developers. They HAVE to use Uniface and Uniface generates crap enough code all by itself. It can either use packages or plain SQL to access the data - this is a choice allowed at runtime too, so any code generated is always overwritten when the forms are compiled and/or the scripts for the tables etc produced. We have no control at all.

>> Q4: If not, and without going to a book, or web site, and looking it
up do you know what DBMS_PROFILER is?

It is a PL/SQL profiler.

Do I pass ?

Regards,