Re: how long to "transport tablespaces" with a read only tablespace?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:51:13 +1000

"Marc" <Marc-Weinstock_at_si.rr.com> wrote in message news:typX8.59402$Wi.18107323_at_twister.nyc.rr.com...
> I did not mean the indexes needs to be rebuilt, I meant the data in the
> tables needs to be rebuilt.

Even stranger. I wish I knew what this meant.

> So U are saying it will take about 2-5 minutes to actually transport the
> tablespace with out the network issues. That is too long.

Actually, ignoring the business of actually copying the large DBF from one database to another, export should be able to plug the tablespace into the new database in a matter of 20 or 30 seconds, tops. It really doesn't have to do very much, just update the new database's data dictionary.

>Do U have any
> ideas on how to repopulate batch summary tables quickly?

I haven't followed this thread very closely, so I'm not really sure I understand your requirement (so that puts me in the same company as most consultants, then, which must be OK). But if you've summary tables, I feel the words "Materialized View" and "replication" and "fast refresh" sneaking up on me.

Regards
HJR