Re: how long to "transport tablespaces" with a read only tablespace?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:32:23 +0100

Marc wrote:

> I did not mean the indexes needs to be rebuilt, I meant the data in the
> tables needs to be rebuilt.
>
> So U are saying it will take about 2-5 minutes to actually transport the
> tablespace with out the network issues. That is too long. Do U have any
> ideas on how to repopulate batch summary tables quickly?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Marc wrote:
> >
> > > Before I start to waste a lot of R&D time, I was wondering if anyone can
> > > estimate how long it will take to move 2 1/2 gigs of read-only tables
> in 1
> > > tablespace to anther db.
> > >
> > > Detail:
> > > I a set of read only tables in 1 tablespace with their indexes that
> needs to
> > > be rebuilt a few times a day in a 24/5 database. These tables have no
> > > transactions other than my batch load. I was thinking of creating a
> staging
> > > copy of the production instance. Place the burden of rebuilding the
> tables
> > > in the staging. Then move the tablespace using the "transport
> tablespaces"
> > > method to the production instance. Can anybody know how long it can
> take to
> > > move 15 tables. I can not have a user get an error or wait more than 1
> > > minute(and 1 minute is to long). I also have stored package that are
> tied
> > > to these tables.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?
> >
> > How fast is your network at copying 2.5 GB? Then add a few minutes.
> >
> > But I am rather confused by your statement that indexes need to be rebuilt
> a few
> > times a day? Why?
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

I'm not saying it takes 2-5 minutes if automated. I was assuming a one-time only and that you'd be doing it manually. If you are going to automate this I would say a few seconds and ... I would seriously question whether what you are thinking of doing is the best way to do it. Because I sure wouldn't think so.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 17:32:23 CDT