Re: Hot backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:59:49 +1000

Hi

IMHO there are basically three things that are essential to recover a database:

  1. A complete backup of the database (at least all data files and control files). This backup can be either cold or hot. The cold backup has certain advantages such as being easy to perform and being consistent (which might be useful if you lack one of the other key things) but a complete hot backup fully protects your database.
  2. All the redo logs between the oldest backed up file and the current state of the DB. Having multiple copies of your archived logs in not a bad idea. They're really really important.
  3. A DBA who knows what they are doing. Sounds obvious but essential.

I suggest a good read of the Backup and Recovery doco and ensure your organisation has all three.

Good Luck

Richard