How to deal with objects of type UNDEFINED

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:41:07 +0200

Hello

Trying to glance at the consistency of the DB I found objects having the same name in the same schema. One of these (always pairwise present) objects was of type UNDEFINED (Version 8.1.7, Solaris).

It turns out that the type# of these objects is 42, and it seems like the DB is not able to deal with these objects. A number of questions arise at this point:

  1. Is it possible to have more than one object with the same name in the same schema but of different type? One should say YES, since that is what I have found, but this case seems bogous to me.
  2. Could it be that these UNDEFINED objects are being unintentionally addressed by SQL statements, when actually the other object with the same name is meant?
  3. Type# 42 means MATERIALIZED VIEW. Should I dare to teach this to Oracle? There should be a file somewhere containing the correspondence of type# to type name.
  4. Since I myself do no development with the DB, only its pure administration, I have no clue as to how these UNDEFINED objects could be created, but I suspect that it could be possible if using the DBA Studio and applying a "Create similar..." to the Materialized Views branch. Could anyone confirm that?
  5. How could I inspect these UNDEFINED objects? Specially: How could I assess its dependencies to other objects in the DB?
  6. Specially: How could I drop them? Since the syntax of the drop command demands naming the type of object (like "DROP TABLE" or "DROP INDEX" etc.) I see no chance of doing it.

By the way, these UNDEFINED objects cannot be managed by the DBA Studio, and they are only listed if choosing the "Display by objects" (or was it "Display by schemas" ?- don't remember now). Of course, one can always:

select object_name,owner from dba_objects where object_type='UNDEFINED';

and get a complete list of these strange animals.

Your turn!

Rick Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 17:41:07 CDT