Re: can't drop synonym -- am I overlooking the obvious?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2002 14:13:02 -0700

In article <3d2de9a1.84093049_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>, spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow says...

>Platform: Oracle 8.0.5 on NT 4
>

>SQL> select owner, synonym_name from dba_synonyms where SYNONYM_NAME like
>'SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFIL%';
>
>OWNER SYNONYM_NAME
>
>------------------------------ ------------------------------
>
>NMM SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE
>

>SQL> drop synonym NMM.SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE;
>drop synonym NMM.SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01434: private synonym to be dropped does not exist
>

>SQL> drop public synonym NMM.SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE
> 2 ;
>drop public synonym NMM.SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-00995: missing or invalid synonym identifier
>

>SQL> select '[' || SYNONYM_NAME || ']' from dba_synonyms where SYNONYM_NAME like
>'SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFIL%';
>
>'['||SYNONYM_NAME||']'
>
>--------------------------------
>
>[SY_SCRTY_USER_PROFILE ]
>

>It appears that the synonym name has a trailing space in it!?!?! How do I drop
>this beast?
>--
>Ed Stevens
>(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)
Put double quotes around it, including the space. That should work, but remember it will then be case sensitive as well so enter it all in uppercase.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 16:13:02 CDT