Re: Undo management manual

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:53:50 +0200

I never go to the Internet to look in Oracle Manuals. I've stored all .pdf files from the Generic Documentation CD-ROM to a directory on my disk and made a shortcut to index.pdf in the top directory of the tree. From there you can click to all manuals. (Used Winzip to get all *.pdf files from the CD including the subdirectory structure). I prefer Acrobat but I'am sure you can do this with the HTML files too if you want. Done this for V8.0.5, V8.1.7 and V9.2 so 3 complete manual sets are only one mouse click away.
I can search now very easy for a description of an init.ora parameter, V$-view or error description and use it more than once a day.

Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com> schreef in berichtnieuws agh0dk$b0$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
| I DO SO WISH PEOPLE WOULD INCLUDE ERROR MESSAGE TEXT, and not just the
| numbers.
|
| Some of us run on Windows. On Windows, you can't just knock up a quick
'oerr
| ora 1552' to find out what the hell you are talking about (and clever
| workarounds notwithstanding, this statement is definitely true when you
| install and re-install for testing purposes on a regular basis).
|
| However, my trusty elves tell me that 1552 is the infamous "cannot use
| system rollback segment for non-system tablespace" error.
|
| And since you receive this error when trying to create your first ever
| rollback segment, the issue is clear.
|
| First the general principles. There is a system rollback segment, and it
is
| used exclusively for updates to tables in the SYSTEM tablespace. You can;t
| use it for any updates which affect non-system tablespace. Your rollback
| segment tablespace is (I'm guessing here, but feel pretty confident)
locally