Re: Oracle Parallel Server

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2002 09:13:09 -0700

In article <1026372285.25432.0.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>, "Jonathan says...

>Comment in-line.
>
>--
>Jonathan Lewis
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
>Next Seminars
> UK July / Sept
> Australia July / August
> Malaysia September
> USA (MI) November
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>
>Pete Sharman wrote in message ...
>>
>>them to a NetApp storage device. The laptops were whatever OracleWorld
>>Copenhagen attendees had with them, so they were from a variety of hardware
>>vendors. From memory, it was RedHat 7.2 and 9.2 of the database. Getting
>it to
>>even work it just amazing!
>>

>Oracle Training in Denmark let us have a go in one of their
>training rooms after the show was over - so we have a set
>of identical machines, and we still met the same problem.
>
>But as you say, it's pretty amazing that James got it
>working at all - booting off a CD, setting up an NFS
>device as the swap (one of the problems, we think,
>was related to insufficient memory), and running the
>cluster heartbeat off hardware ! My guess on the point
>of failure was that we didn't have enough network capacity
>to bring in the 11th node and keep the original 10 aware of
>each other at the same time - we weren't using state of
>the art network kit.
>
>> Funniest thing about it was the photo I
>got sent
>>showing all these laptops open, but on their sides, in the cluster!
>>

>Now what was the quote of the conference from Larry -
>".... runs nothing; it only runs benchmarks'".
>Stacking the laptops on their sides was the best way
>of keeping the users off the system !

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but I've used a laptop in some pretty strange ways before (just opened myself up for smart comments from HJR and Richard I know!). I suppose the proximity of the laptops to each other would have precluded much though.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 11:13:09 CDT