Re: Oracle Parallel Server

From: Jay <me_at_heyjay.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:19:25 -0500

What are the advantages of a clustered file system over raw devices? I haven't had the opportunity to work with either.

I've been looking around the web for explanations/descriptions of clustered file system but can't find anything good. It seems veritas makes one. But is it a piece of software, hardware, or both. You mention compaq makes one also.

Is setting up and administering a RAC significantly harder than a single instance database.

I think I'm struggling because I don't understand the pieces and how they fit together. Would someone care to describe how the whole thing is put together?

Thanks
Jay

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:agiv0l0125p_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <agijfd$j3j$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>, "Jay says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >My client may want to implement parallel server. They are (sorta) an HP
> >shop. But Oracle has been promoting RACs on Linux as a very cost
effective
> >solution. Anyone ever implement upon Linux, Pros/Cons? Other platforms
> >Pros/Cons?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Jay
> >

> And so it is. One of the real benefits of the Linux configs is that there
are
> certified configurations that you can use "out of the box". Depending on
what
> vendor you buy them from, you can either plug in the cluster and RAC is
already
> preloaded, or part of the purchase cost may include the time of a
consultant
> (not necessarily an Oracle one) to install and configure RAC. About the
only
> con I can think of is that Linux hasn't had the long history of supporting
> clustering in the way some other Unix platforms have.
>
> If you need to install everything yourself, then I think Compaq is a good
choice
> (note this is purely a personal thing, not an Oracle recommendation)
because it