Re: In praise of auto space management

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 11 Jul 2002 13:01:48 +0100 (BST)

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>One thought, have you noticed that in a fairly
>recent version of Oracle, (possibly 8.1.7) you
>can modify freelists online without having to
>rebuild the table ?

Yes, I had noticed that, and it's a very good thing. Freelist groups are still static though.

For large system benchmarks, I've been using up to 53 freelist groups and 97 freelists on one particular table (single-table index cluster actually). I really try not to think about how much space is being wasted in partially full extents.

Thanks for the comments though. I'm now considering the whole thing much more carefully before recommending ASSM as a panacea for insert contention. Shame, I was very enthusiastic about the thought of never again having to trawl through a performance problem report to find that it was a simple lack of freelists (or worse, FL groups).

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/