Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:34:13 +1000

Hi Sean,

You have summed up perfectly what is good about the OCP program, so good on you. If it motivates you to go out and learn, and study and explore different aspects of the database then that's all a positive. If at the end of the process you're better trained and qualified, then again that can only be a good thing.

I worked for Oracle University for many years and I understand the importance of training and getting the technical foundations right. And if OCP encourages people to be trained (or research and develop skills in others ways) then that's a plus.

BUT note all the various issues and concerns regarding the obtaining and relevance of the OCP status.

One last point. Don't be embassressed by being an OCP. If you're a Kylie Minogue fan yes, but not an OCP. Note I've been an OCP since it first come out and I've upgraded ever since. Why, because work (Oracle) paid for it and because it was kind of expected from Oracle that I be certified. Am I a better DBA or instructor as a result, not in the slightest but it does mean I can speak about this with some knowledge.

The "Hi I'm Richard and I'm a OCP" line got me nowhere either. My wife married me because of my good looks and charming personality (and the blind dog took a liking to me :)

Regards

Richard