Re: Oracle Parallel Server

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 20:45:25 -0700

In article <agijfd$j3j$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>, "Jay says...

>Hi,
>
>My client may want to implement parallel server. They are (sorta) an HP
>shop. But Oracle has been promoting RACs on Linux as a very cost effective
>solution. Anyone ever implement upon Linux, Pros/Cons? Other platforms
>Pros/Cons?
>
>Thanks
>Jay

And so it is. One of the real benefits of the Linux configs is that there are certified configurations that you can use "out of the box". Depending on what vendor you buy them from, you can either plug in the cluster and RAC is already preloaded, or part of the purchase cost may include the time of a consultant (not necessarily an Oracle one) to install and configure RAC. About the only con I can think of is that Linux hasn't had the long history of supporting clustering in the way some other Unix platforms have.

If you need to install everything yourself, then I think Compaq is a good choice (note this is purely a personal thing, not an Oracle recommendation) because it has a clustered file system. Sun does too, but it's not supported for the database files (performance isn't good enough), and I know other vendors have been working on them for a while, but remember Compaq bought Digital which of course had clusters centuries ago (in computing time anyway). It will be interesting to see how HP uses the Compaq/Digital technology in this area.

Having said that, I haven't really heard anything against any of the other major Unix players. HP-UX and AIX both work perfectly well with RAC too. You could even investigate VMS, though it tends to lag release timeframes compared to Unix environments.

Win2K I can't say too much about, because it's not something I've had a lot of experience with in the clustered environment. I'm still not convinced it's as robust as Linux, Unix or VMS, anyway.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 22:45:25 CDT