Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:00:27 +1000

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:m76X8.32576$Hj3.97767_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi George,
>
> Some good points. Let me add a few.
>
> Firstly to pass a driving test, you must prove you can drive by passing an
> actual, practical, exam (as well as the written one). OCP has no such test
> (yet). Can you imagine what our roads would be like if to drive you only
> have to pass a couple of multiple choice exams !!

Yeah, a bit like Sydney, on a quiet day. Dangerous and unpleasant.

> Secondly, once you pass the test, you are still only considered a
> "provisional" driver and you have to clearly show a P plate to drive
> anywhere (at least in Australia). This clearly identifies you to other
> drivers as someone who has limited experience, so you can be wary of them
> and take precaution action as you drive near them.

Nah, it means you can yell and scream at them as you pass them doing 60kph on a freeway, hurling abuse along the lines "call yourself a driver!!". Then you can feel smug, because you're about to plough into the back of a track at nearly double that speed.

>*Oracle Certified
> Professional" strongly implies you are more than a possible new comer to
> Oracle.

It implies you are a P-plater, with no more right to drive on God's good earth than an earthworm with wings. It implies you had more money than sense, or a generous and short-sighted employer.

OK, sarcasm mode off. I truly wish we could put this one to bed.

So, OK here goes for nothing.

No-one who values their professional reputation would bother doing OCP, and if they did it for the purposes of job hunting (where it might prove useful, because as we all know, there's one born every minute, and they're usually in HR), they'd keep very quiet about it when it comes to the business of exchanging technical know-how amongst other competent DBAs. There are members of this very group who fit that pattern rather well, in fact.

> And lastly, many organisations regard their information technology
services
> and the protection of their information and the performance of their
systems
> with equal importance as a F1 team regards the performance of their car
and
> driver. Quite clearing someone who has just passed a driving test is not
> necessarily appropriate to drive a F1 car (you admit that much) so why
> should we consider someone who has passed OCP to necessarily be
appropriate
> to look after the well being of these organisations.
>
> If OCP means you *can* drive an "F1" (as it should) then there would be
more
> support.

Absolutely. But it doesn't. And it never will, as far as I can tell. Now the Oracle Masters... that's a very different kettle of fish. Just to mix a metaphor or three.

Regards
HJR
> My thoughts
>
> Richard
>
> "George Barbour" <gbarbour_at_csc.com> wrote in message
> > Don't listen to these dude's James, go ahead and get your OCP
> > qualifications.
> > Asking your question here is like asking Michael Shumacher if a driving
> > licence helps him on the F1 circuit.
> >
> > While a driving licence is not necessary for F1 - true it all on private
> > ground; the process of getting the licence is a good way, well one of
> them,
> > to learn how to drive a car.
> >
> > George Barbour.
> >

> > "newboy" <goldstar_at_nospam.aol.com> wrote in message
> > > This is starting to worry me. I am just about to book a fast track
> course
> > > OCP 9i but all I read is negative stuff. I'm not an Oracle DBA and
don't
> > > work with it every day. Oracle is only a small part of my daily work.
> All
> > > want is to learn enough to help me to deploy and support my software
and
> > > also give my customers some confidence in my companies abilities.
> > >
> > > If I pass the certification I certainly won't view myself as some kind
> of
> > > expert. To me it's a bit like being at university or school. You learn
> > some
> > > stuff, do some exams and then you go out and learn how to do the job.
So