Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:39:57 +1000

Hi George,

Some good points. Let me add a few.

Firstly to pass a driving test, you must prove you can drive by passing an actual, practical, exam (as well as the written one). OCP has no such test (yet). Can you imagine what our roads would be like if to drive you only have to pass a couple of multiple choice exams !!

Secondly, once you pass the test, you are still only considered a "provisional" driver and you have to clearly show a P plate to drive anywhere (at least in Australia). This clearly identifies you to other drivers as someone who has limited experience, so you can be wary of them and take precaution action as you drive near them. *Oracle Certified Professional" strongly implies you are more than a possible new comer to Oracle.

And lastly, many organisations regard their information technology services and the protection of their information and the performance of their systems with equal importance as a F1 team regards the performance of their car and driver. Quite clearing someone who has just passed a driving test is not necessarily appropriate to drive a F1 car (you admit that much) so why should we consider someone who has passed OCP to necessarily be appropriate to look after the well being of these organisations.

If OCP means you *can* drive an "F1" (as it should) then there would be more support.

My thoughts

Richard

"George Barbour" <gbarbour_at_csc.com> wrote in message news:3d2c465b$1_at_pull.gecm.com...
> Don't listen to these dude's James, go ahead and get your OCP
> qualifications.
> Asking your question here is like asking Michael Shumacher if a driving
> licence helps him on the F1 circuit.
>
> While a driving licence is not necessary for F1 - true it all on private
> ground; the process of getting the licence is a good way, well one of
them,
> to learn how to drive a car.
>
> George Barbour.
>

> "newboy" <goldstar_at_nospam.aol.com> wrote in message
> > This is starting to worry me. I am just about to book a fast track
course
> > OCP 9i but all I read is negative stuff. I'm not an Oracle DBA and don't
> > work with it every day. Oracle is only a small part of my daily work.
All