Re: Strange occurence of ORA-06502 error (and Microsoft -2147467259(80004005))

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 15:58:45 -0700

marty_mj_at_my-deja.com (Marty Will Follow) wrote in message news:<8d15cc45.0207100852.aa5c39f_at_posting.google.com>...
> [Apologies if this post appears more than once. The
> Internet-connection is playing tricks again and it's S L O W. Damned
> firewalls!]
>
> Hello,
>
> I encounter a strange error when I try to call a stored procedure from
> a Visual Basic application. After calling the procedure I get the
> following error:
>
> Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)':
>
> [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
> ORA-06512: at "SUSHI.SUSHI_HI_NI", line 153
> ORA-06512: at line 1
>
> Now, AFAIK, the run-time error is a Microsoft (VB) error while the
> second is an Oracle error, correct?
> I get this error when I use my laptop
> System:
> Microsoft Windows 2000
> 5.00.2195
> Service Pack 2
>
> Computer:
> x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 3
> AT/AT COMPATIBLE
> 130.544 KB RAM
>
> The Oracle server is 8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 -
> Production
>
> Now comes the strange part. When run the same application on a user
> desktop of my client, then the procedure runs OK! No errors,
> whatsoever.
>
> Desktop computer information:
> System:
> Microsoft Windows NT
> 4.00.1381
> IE 5.5.50.4522.1800
>
> Computer:
> x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
> AT/AT COMPATIBLE
> 260.404 KB RAM
>
> I've tried all I could localising the error, but I cannot find
> anything. The ORA-06502 would suggest that a variable in the procedure
> is not big enough for a certain value, but that does not explain why
> it works on other computers. Besides, AFAIK, the variables are big
> enough to hold the information (each defined variable has room for 100
> characters).
>
> Oh, and as a final touch to the mystery, when I directly call the
> procedure in SQL Plus from my laptop (and enter the same values as I
> do when I use the VB application) the procedure again works. I really
> don't know what's happening here!
>
> I hope the information presented here is clear enough. I personally
> have a lot of difficulty to get any grip on the situation. Hopefully
> you can help me out.
>
> C ya!
>
> Marty

This is just a hunch and may not be what is going on in your scenario...but I have seen this before.

Seems like your application is using your laptop's default regional settings to set a certain parameter value which is not compatible in Oracle.

If you have any number fields with currency format or some wierd date format that you have set in your regional settings...then maybe your application is converting the value to that format before making the procedure call.

Check your regional settings...Maybe it relates to that.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 17:58:45 CDT