Re: Any APIs?

From: Relational DBA <juha_teuvonnen_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 15:51:12 -0700

"Janardhan" <S.Janardhan_at_icn.siemens.de> wrote in message news:<01c2242d$4688e4a0$8c79158b_at_mhw09108>...
> Does Oracle Provide any API to modify TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA?

AFAIK there's no API per se, however these config files are documented. I use the following home-grown solution:

  1. XML templates for configuration files
  2. Settings for each listener, instance, etc., are stored in a centralized "Command center" database.
  3. I can easily generate a config file for any listener, instance, etc. given (1) and (2)
  4. all modified config files are checked into CVS. If somebody forgets to do this, the person gets hit hard in the head with a baseball bat :)

The weak point in this system, just like any other centralized management solution, is that if the "Command center" is knocked out you are in huge trouble. That's why the command center is completely redundant. And yes, very few people have access to it as redundancy is not gonna save you from operator error. Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 17:51:12 CDT