Strange error when calling procedure: ORA-06502 and -2147467259(80004005)

From: Marty Will Follow <marty_mj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 08:29:31 -0700

Hello,

I encounter a strange error when I try to call a stored procedure from a Visual Basic application. After calling the procedure I get the following error:

Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)':

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error ORA-06512: at "SUSHI.SUSHI_HI_NI", line 153 ORA-06512: at line 1

Now, AFAIK, the run-time error is a Microsoft (VB) error while the second is an Oracle error, correct?
I get this error when I use my laptop
System:
Microsoft Windows 2000
5.00.2195
Service Pack 2

Computer:
x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
130.544 KB RAM The Oracle server is 8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

Now comes the strange part. When run the same application on a user desktop of my client, then the procedure runs OK! No errors, whatsoever.

Desktop computer information:
System:
Microsoft Windows NT
4.00.1381
IE 5.5.50.4522.1800

Computer:
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
260.404 KB RAM I've tried all I could localising the error, but I cannot find anything. The ORA-06502 would suggest that a variable in the procedure is not big enough for a certain value, but that does not explain why it works on other computers. Besides, AFAIK, the variables are big enough to hold the information (each defined variable has room for 100 characters).

Oh, and as a final touch to the mystery, when I directly call the procedure in SQL Plus from my laptop (and enter the same values as I do when I use the VB application) the procedure again works. I really don't know what's happening here!

I hope the information presented here is clear enough. I personally have a lot of difficulty to get any grip on the situation. Hopefully you can help me out.

C ya!

Marty Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 10:29:31 CDT