Re: How to confirm someone is an OCP?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:43:31 +1000

In article <agh8iq$9ri$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, you said (and I quote):

> The cynicism you see in these parts is in large meaasure due to the fact
> that most of the posters you'll see here regularly would scoff at the idea
> that they have to demonstrate anything: their professional work experience
> demonstrates as much equally well, if not better.

Actually, that is not quite correct. Not being employed by one of those companies that act as automatic "certificates of competency", I regularly have to demonstrate to our clients how much I know about databases in general and Oracle in particular. But that is part and parcel of life in IT and no one should be above it. Certified notwithstanding.

What many here object to is being "told" by some snotty-nosed head hunter they have to demonstrate their "commitment" to Oracle by taking the OCP, and that their >15 years of using the product and 27 years in IT count for, exactly, jack.

That is the problem. And it doesn't help at all when it is Oracle themselves encouraging the head hunters to take this approach.

Conveniently forgetting that what Oracle is now is due in no minor part to the commitment given to the product by these same very people.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto