Re: Maxextents unlimited on LMT ?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:00:49 +1000

In article <aggfnf01k96_at_drn.newsguy.com>, you said (and I quote):

> Again, you might argue it shouldn't be so, but to me MAXEXTENTS is the wrong
> thing to do capacity management with anyway. The as yet undocumented MAXSIZE
> parameter I mentioned in another reply might be better. Of course the fact that
> it doesn't exist might explain why it's not documented :)

Hmmmmm. So, when is it usable? ;-)

> You want the functionality or not? ;)

Er.... yes.

> My personal viewpoint is that you'll see these packages used by Oracle itself to
> "self-manage". Doesn't it then make sense that you as an experienced DBA might
> find them useful too?

Yeah. But I kinda prefer the facility to be there from SQL. Used by DBMS packages to self-manage, by all means. And normally optional. But leave it there.

The DBMS* packages are too open to doco "misses" and stuff like that. IIRC for example, the one that lets you set events to a specific session is not documented in 8i AND 9i. Yet, people have been using it since 8iR3 came out. One way or another it became known.

What I don't like is that it got skipped in the doco. Makes me wonder how many more got the same treatment. I still well remember the days when Oracle was a closed environment where only selected "luminaries" were given access to privileged info. That didn't work then, won't work now.

> Ahah! I take back my "experienced DBA" comment! ;)

<groan>
:-)

--
Cheers