Re: Does Oracle 8i support XML data

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:27:28 +0400

Well, you actually answered your own question - 9i is first release with XML support out of the box. XDK (XML Development Kit) is available for previous releases though
(http://otn.oracle.com/tech/xml/xdk_plsql/content.html) and includes XSU (XML SQL Utility) among others. XSU allows you to retrieve a query result as XML document, and parse XML documents and insert/update tables from them. It's not that trivial as in 9i, but it works.