Re: dbassist problems with Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux.

From: Hrishikesh Mehendale <in.co.persistent_at_mehendale_hrishikesh.in>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:47:22 +0530

Genty Jean-Paul wrote:

> Hi
>
> Platform is Mandrake 7.2 and oracle 8.1.7.
>
> I have a problem in running dbassist.
> When I type 'dbassist', it makes an
> error and gets troubled. the error message is like below :
>
> Writing stack trace to javacore10690.txt ... OK
> /oracle/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin/dbassist: line 103: 10681 Segmentation
> fault
> $JRE_EXEC -Duser.dir=$USER_DIR -classpath $CLASSPATH DBCreateWizard
> $ARGUMENT
>
> It seems a lot of people had this problem but I could find no valid
> answer.
>
> Could someone tell me if he managed to solve it ?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Jean-Paul Genty

I had a similar problem when installing 8.1.7 on Mandrake 8.1. A few shots in the dark revealed these possible causes (by no means a complete list):

  1. Your $DISPLAY is not set correctly. Is that error preceeded by something like "Xlib: connection to "..." refused by server"? If you login (in X) as a "normal" user and then su / su - to oracle, you need to explicitly allow connections from localhost. This is achieved with a xhost +localhost.
  2. You dont have enough RAM to run dbassist. (that seems doubtful though, as oracle is probably correctly installed). I say this 'cos I got a similar core from JRE when installing with insufficient swap space, tho' never when running dbassist.

Hope this helps
Hrishikesh

--
Hrishikesh Mehendale