Re: shutdown abort and database consistency

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:44:38 +0100

A couple of comments in-line.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars
        UK            July / Sept
        Australia      July / August
        Malaysia        September
        USA (MI)        November

Howard J. Rogers wrote in message ...

>So the database opens fine, but the table is missing, in its entirety. Not
>just the records.... the table itself. Why? Because when you create a table
>'nologging', the entries in the data dictionary to record its creation are
>not logged either. Therefore, the change to the data dictionary is lost
>along with the insertion of records. But the database is consistent
>(consistently missing table NASTY, anyway).

I think you may need to review the above. The data dictionary entries to record its creation are logged, but the sequence of events is: create temporary segment load data into temporary segment create most table definitions entries attach temp segement to table definition eliminate temp segment definition. So if you crash in mid-create, there is only a temp segment definition in the dictionary to clear out (smon) on startup.

>So the last batch insert was lost, but not the preceeding ones. I *was*
>committing after each insert, though. Had I not been, I would have lost the
>lot. But the database would have opened consistent.

It doesn't change the nature of your argument, but if you had not been committing between inserts you would have got oracle error: ORA-12838: cannot read/modify an object after modifying it in parallel. ;)