oracle 8.0.5 - Restore Problem

From: vlmeda <vlmeda_at_excite.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 16:17:04 -0700

We have a peculiar situation.

I had to refresh a Dev database from Production.

For that, I followed the standard procedure, I took a hotbackup and restored into the Dev machine.

While doing the Recovery process ...did the usual Control File Recreation and could successfully mount
the database under the DEV sid.

Here the trouble...

I did a RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROL FILE...

I applied the archive log files .....in AUTO mode....and canceled as it never stopped asking the
Arhive logs.

Tried to open the alter database open resetlogs....but it failed saying

ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent ORA-01110: data file 1:
'/oss-dev/db01/oracle/oradata/oss_prd5/system_01.dbf'

First I tried from a Tape Restore same problem, then I myself did a manual hotbackup and did the recovery
process....still hitting the same situation.

The problem is ....I could never open the database....it keeps asking more and more archive log files...
even until after point in time recovery.....For e.g., the last backup datafile was copied at 12.00 p.m.,

I restored the archive log files well beyond 12.00 p.m, even then it did not stop...still asking more and
more archive logs.

I never had such a problem before elsewhere.. I am not the one who created this database...I just joined
in this company and this is my second week....I was just trying to refresh the Dev database using any of
the backups....this is the story.

Any one any ideas appreciated. Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 18:17:04 CDT