Re: Maxextents unlimited on LMT ?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:08:51 +0100

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <Ek6W8.30168$Hj3.91637_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...
> >
> >I agree with your sentiments.
> >
> >Not convinced that Pete's reason is it though.
>
> Oh ye of little faith! Though knowing Richard I'm not surprised! ;)
>
> OK, since you won't believe me, I spoke to the relevant Development lead, and
> here's what he said (word for word):
>
> "Your assumption [as I stated in my original reply to Richard] is accurate. The
> number of extents in a locally managed tablespace has absolutely none (very
> negligible in the worst of cases) impact on performance. As such there is no
> need to set this parameter which puts an artificial limit on the size of an
> object and hence, requires additional manual intervention.
>
> What exactly is your client not convinced about? Do they find the argument of
> number of extent having no performance impact unacceptable or do they have a
> need to control the object size?"
>
> I've emailed them your OP, Richard, so it will be interesting to see if they
> have a specific viewpoint on the scenarios you gave.
>
> Oh, and now do you believe me? ;)
>
> Pete
>

> >Regards
> >
> >Richard
> >
> >"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> >says...

> >and for

> >tablespace

> >maxextents

> >key
> >very
> >concerns
> >for
> >expecting
> >objects
> >factor of
> >data
> >the
> >may

> >number
> >One of
> >is to

> >with it.
> >what I'm
> >see this
> >skilled
> >in the
> >simply not
> >do with
> >people to
> >missing,
> >rough and

> >miles out!

> >> That may well be it. But if one wishes to take that attitude toward
> >managing a
> >> database they will likely do the same thing with respect to disk I/O, pool
> >sizing,
> >> and all of the other parameters that lazy people are free to ignore.
> >>
> >> I'd rather set a limit and have the production DBAs paying attention.
> >>
> >> Daniel Morgan
> >>

> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

So the quote was:

"The number of extents in a locally managed tablespace has absolutely none (very negligible in the worst of cases) impact on performance"

Could you pass this test onto the development lead...

SQL> create tablespace dummy
  2 datafile 'e:\orasw\db1\dummy.dbf' size 2001m   3 extent management local uniform size 32k;

SQL> create user x identified by x;

User created.

SQL> alter user x quota 1000m on dummy;

User altered.

SQL> set timing on
SQL> create table x.p ( x number ) tablespace dummy   2 storage ( initial 99m next 99m minextents 10 );

Table created.

Elapsed: 00:02:04.57
SQL> drop table x.p;

Table dropped.

Elapsed: 00:01:92.14
system_at_db1>

2 MINUTES!!!! WHAT A SHAMBLES! When they put the quota system in a bitmap as well, then I'll be convinced :-)

Cheers
Connor

--
Connor McDonald