Re: select * from dual in MOUNTED database returns 4 columns (one row)

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 10:04:20 -0700

In article <ODvW8.31126$Hj3.93369_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...

>Hi Vsevolod,
>
>I must admit I've never tried to select from dual before with an unopened
>database so I'm not sure what you are actually accessing (I suspect some
>internal dual like object). What I do know is that you are not accessing the
>dual table/synonym as this is only accessible with an open database so I
>would strongly suspect they are not one and the same.
>
>Regards
>
>Richard
>"Vsevolod Afanassiev" <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au> wrote in message
>> If a database is mounted (not opened), then
>>
>> select * from dual
>>
>> returns 4 columns (one row).
>> However, when the database is opened,
>>
>> select * from dual
>>
>> returns one column only.
>>
>> I checked DBA_OBJECTS - there are only two objects with name DUAL,
>> both in SYS schema, table and synonym.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sev

See Jonathan's response for what you're getting, but it's interesting to see the DUAL synonym owned by SYS. I had a look at my 9.2 database, and as I suspected it would be the DUAL synonym is owned by PUBLIC. What release are you running? Purely academic interest since it makes no difference.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 12:04:20 CDT