Re: Temporary Table

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:59:19 GMT

Hugo Habicht wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I´m coming from SQL Server and I used temporary Tables for storing temporary
> Data. The Problem is we use the Database in MultiUser environment. In SQL
> Server a temporary Table exists only in the UserProcess. So each User
> creates his own Table.
> Is this possible in Oracle or is there a Workaround?
>
> thanks
>
> Hugo

There are many very significant differences between the best ways to do something in SQL Server (or any other RDBMS) and Oracle. If you are working in Oracle you should definitely do it the Oracle way to enhance performance, scalability, and data integrity.

In the case of Temp tables ... don't use them. There is absolutely no need.

If you do need one for some reason ... and I've only done so a few times in the last decade, look at Global Temporary Tables. And it is not the table that is temporary ... but rather the data stored in the table. It is strongly advised to never create tables on-the-fly in Oracle.

Others will get tired of this but it is still good advice: Get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and pay special attention to the first three chapters.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 09:59:19 CDT