Cannot duplicate using RMAN and Netbackup

From: Saeed Rana <srana_bt_at_nms-sys-ltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:14:07 +0100

RDBMS Version: 8.1.6
Operating System and Version: Solaris 8
Error Number: RMAN-10035 ORA-19507
Product : RMAN
Product Version: 8.1.6.1

I have read ALL the info on RMAN, Netbackup and notes on duplicate/restore errors.
We have a Solaris 8 E10000 clustered environment running Veritas Netbackup 3.4GA. A backup network is set up between the E10000 and the E4500 that hosts the backup server.

On the E10000 we have 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 databases all happily being backed up. A test restore of an 8.1.7 database worked fine. I am trying to clone an 8.1.6 database but keep getting the :

RMAN-10035: exception raised in RCP: ORA-19507: failed to read sequential file, handle="dbf_nnnn_n_nnnnnnnnn", parms=""

Message.

I have tested with sbttest. On 8.1.7 this works fine. On 8.1.6 I got an error with bsercoer=4110. I had already relinked libobk.so, but did the same to libdsbtsh8.so and this got sbttest going on 8.1.6, until it failed with:

MMAPI error from sbtcommand: 7501, sbtcommand: Syntax error, space found in key word ...

As part of my investigation, I would like to attempt to manually restore an RMAN file using bprestore. How the HANDLE from RC_BACKUP_PIECE (i.e. the file mentioned in the RMAN error) appear in the Netbackup catalogue. When I try to bplist the file, I get an Netbackup error:

EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

But I can list other non-Oracle/RMAN files. If I could locate the file in Netbackup and restore to a safe area, it might help me to solve this problem.

Also, because I am not logged on as root, and therefore cannot change the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file without filling out lots of paperwork, can the settings here be overridden in my environment for the restore/duplicates I run? Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 08:14:07 CDT