Difference between SID and SERVICE_NAME

From: Marcel Kraupp <marcel.kraupp_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 05:45:39 -0700

Hello Everybody

Today, we had an issue where we'd regularly would get an "ORA-03123 operation would block" error. This could be solved by changing the entry in tnsnames.ora using SERVICE_NAME=xyz instead of SID=xyz

Now, while this seems perfect to live with, it still makes me wonder what the difference between SID and SERVICE_NAME is. I was led to believe that SID is used up to and including 8i, while SERVICE_NAME is used 8i onwards, but basically mean the same thing. Obviously, they don't. Who can enlighten me?

TIA
MK Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 07:45:39 CDT