Re: Oracle 8.1.7 and Firewall

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2002 21:20:17 -0700

lukeo_at_teleport.com (lukeo) wrote in message news:<3d2a1963.9098468_at_news.earthlink.net>...
> Are there any documents that address issues of placing a web server in
> front of a firewalll talking to Oracle behind a firewall? It seems
> that Oracle wants to talk on MANY ports. Can I change this?

use CMAN with MTS.
In 8.1.6, you need Enterprise Edition.
In a doc for 8.1.7, connection manager was listed as included, but I have seen conflicting reports as to whether or not if was bundled with Standard Edition.
<mantra> check with your oracle sales rep for exact licensing info </mantra>.

By using SOURCE_ROUTE=true in the client-side tnsnames.ora and specifying the public IP address of the firewall, then the internal address of the listener, one can connect to a dispatcher for a shared server config.

If you use fixed ports for the dispatcher - you can avoid cman entirely.
If you need additional assistance, I have a sample cman.ora file that I can send you (via private email).

Also - Jonthan Gennick and Hugh Toledo's Oracle8 net config & troubleshooting covers this in detail. Its great to have around when you need to trace something in a hurry.

Paul Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 23:20:17 CDT