Re: Database Hit Ratios

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:16:23 +1000

Hi Conner,

I thought some free advertising can't hurt :)

I completely agree.

The 'chuck more resources to fix it', the 'she'll be right mate we'll worry about all that tuning stuff later' mentality is very prevalent at the moment. Resources are (relatively) cheap and DBAs are (relatively) expensive. Problem is of course that resources is not *A* solution, never mind *THE* solution. I've never seen a 100 million row FTS out perform a single row index access not matter the available resources. A skilful Oracle DBA is still a very valuable (and cost effective) commodity.

I just wanted to stimulate some thinking on all this. Thanks heaps for being a part in my being able to do so.

Regards

Richard

PS. I knew Hewitt could do it. Go you aussies !!

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3D29E90F.7DF2_at_yahoo.com...
> Richard Foote wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I know I'm sticking my neck out here, but recently many people have been
> > commenting that database hit ratios matter about as much to database
tuning
> > as Mike Tyson matters to world peace (ie. not a lot). I've read the
> > excellent articles by Gary Millsap, seen the very clever dial up script
by
> > Connor McDonald and read many comments here. I'm sure I'm being
pedantic,
> > but (gulp) I disagree with any final conclusion that suggests hit ratios
> > *never* matter. What's important (and this is what I've been failing to
> > hear), is that hit ratios matter IF *interpreted* and used in a logical
and
> > meaningful manner.
> >
> > Let me position my case, with an emphases on the database buffer cache
hit
> > ratio. Firstly people who tune " SQL statements" based on hit ratios are
> > wrong. People who tune databases to a "specific" hit ratio are wrong.
People
> [...]
> > reduced the number of *logical* I/Os down to an absolute minimum (which
at
> > the end of the day is what 95% of database tuning is all about). Unless
this
> > has all been effectively performed, then memory tuning is a little like
> > mechanic tuning a car only to have the driver plod away in first gear !!
> >
> > Now we get to the hit ratio and it's useful and valid interpretation
from a
> > tuning perspective. I've seen Conner's "dial up" hit ratio example (and
> > clever it is too) but I view it as an invalid way to discredit the
*valid
> > interpretation* of the hit ratio. Invalid in that it runs a little
script
> > that
> > accesses (as many times as necessary) a cached table that increases the
> > logical reads to the point the physical reads are an inconsequential
> > percentage of the total logical reads. High hit rate, c**p DB, hit rates
> > mean nothing is the conclusion. But as already stated, a good DBA would
have
> > detected this rather naughty script, it's irrelevance to business
> > requirements and out she goes. Reducing the logical I/Os to the bare
minimum
> > is the prerequisite to memory tuning and the *valid interpretation* of
the
> > hit rate.
> >
> > In fact, it's the *physical* I/Os that are of most importance here in
> > relation to the hit ratio. Once and only once the logical I/Os have been
> > tuned, do we need to determine the *number* of physical reads. If by
> > increasing my memory buffers, I'm reducing the physical I/Os to the
point
> > where it's a worthwhile return in investment, then I'm altering the *hit
> > ratio* in a valid and deterministic manner. Once the physical reads have
> > plateaued out, then my tuning is done. The *value* of the hit ratio is
of no
> > consequence, but the behaviour pattern of reducing the physical reads
(and
> > thus it's effect on the hit ratio) is important. And Oracle supports
this
> > (bless them), why else do they go to such trouble as providing us with
all
> > the db cache advise stuff, so we can effectively tune the buffer cache
> > reduce physical I/Os and yes, (in)directly the hit ratio performance as
> > well.
> >
> > The buffer cache can actually be too big and hurt performance so
reducing
> > it's size without any detriment effect on the physical I/O count is also
> > valid tuning outcome. Again, using my interpretation of the hit ratio
> > statistics to positive effect.
> >
> > I now have a database with the minimum number of *logical* I/Os and the
> > minimum number of *physical* I/Os. MY INTERPRETATION OF TUNING BASED ON
HIT