Re: The Steps Taken to be a DBA

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 8 Jul 2002 16:35:26 -0700

"Sted Alana" <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3d2993d9$1_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...

> I would like to know what positions DBA have taken (from low positions to
> high positions) before they got to where they are now, so I know what path I
> should be take in my near future.

Bugger! My case is not typical at all, but here goes:

Electrical Engineer (Electronics) => mainframe operator => mainframe Assembler and Cobol programmer => Systems Analyst => Support Engineer => Compiler Support Engineer => Data Management Support Engineer => Codasyl Database Senior Analyst => Oracle Pre-Sales Analyst => Oracle Support Analyst => Oracle Database Administrator => RDBMS Senior Designer => Oracle Consultant => Team Leader => Senior Consultant => Dirk the Daring.

So far.

Of course, when all else fails there is always "architecture". Whatever the bloody heck that means!...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:35:26 CDT